Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes :)

Today.












Remember how I said that I was going to be SO sick yesterday? I truly didn't know how honest that statement would be.

Earlier in the evening, I had decided that I would test this pancake recipe for breakfast today. The thing was, I didn't know that my sister would have to be somewhere at 9:00AM this morning. And I forgot that I had a movie date starting at 10:00PM last night. Problems.

Nevertheless, despite my HUGE caffeine/sugar high that lasted until 11:34PM when I crashed like a hollow log on top of my sister mid-movie, I was determined to wake up at 7:00AM to make breakfast so that everyone could enjoy it. 

I should get an award for this. 

I have never experienced a hangover. I have no desire to find out what it's like either. However, at 7:30AM when I finally forced myself up out of the bed, I honestly believe that I was experiencing the worst chocolate hangover of all times! Seriously. I felt like I was in a fog, but I slowly continued the trek to the kitchen. I'm pretty sure I ran into the wall a few times.

Before I could even fathom gathering one single ingredient (or even get the recipe), I had to get some detox greens to help myself out of this pickle that I had created. I rarely use them (the greens), which is unfortunate, so it's no wonder that they had gotten old and well....I opted to throw them away instead of risk my life on drinking them. I went for some highly potent lemon water instead. After a few sips, I could finally semi-focus. Thank goodness!

Here's the recipe for the delicious pancakes pictured above:

Gluten-free Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Sugared Blueberries (Source: With Style & Grace)

Pancakes

  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 3 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup almond milk – or milk of choice
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • zest of one lemon
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

Sugared Blueberry Topping

  • 2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 tablespoon sugar cane sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Blueberry Topping – mix together blueberries, sugar, honey and fresh lemon juice. Let marinate in the fridge while you prepare pancakes.


In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients – brown rice flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, brown sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder & salt. (I sifted them together.)


In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest and the beaten eggs.


Carefully add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined.



Heat skillet, griddle, or pan to medium. Spray with non-stick or coconut oil. With an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup, scoop pancake mix onto the hot surface. 

Once there’s a few bubbles [about 2 minutes] flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
Serve warm and top with sugared blueberries and other optional toppings.
While I was putting them together, I decided that eggs needed to accompany these pancakes. As well as bacon. 

And not just any eggs. Eggs packed with fresh vegetables! Parsley, tomatoes, and orange and green bell pepper.
Yes, that is a plastic food storage container. Don't judge me. To say that my mind was fuzzy and I couldn't think straight is an understatement. Plus, the remainder of our mixing bowls were in the dishwasher...that had been turned on last night.... Like I said, don't judge me! 

Anyway, they looked great regardless!

I cheated on the bacon. I have a bacon-frying-phobia. I honestly loathe it. Therefore, I microwaved some pre-cooked bacon. :) 

Finally, it was time to plate! 
Yummy, yummy, yummy! I never would've guessed that these pancakes weren't made with "normal" flour. Sooo good!! I highly recommend them!

Another thing... don't be a fool like me and eat 6 of those cookies from last night at one time. Okay, to be honest it wasn't at one time, but it was in one night and that's basically the same thing! Also, if I was really being honest I would say that it was really 8 cookies. Goodness. 

Trust me on this one guys. Nobody likes to spend an afternoon with their head over a toilet feeling like an 18-wheeler just crashed into you! I would've much rather gone to play volleyball like I had planned!!! 

I'm having a very bland baked potato for supper. BE SMARTER THAN ME! :)


Happy eating,
~HB~






No comments:

Post a Comment