Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Orange & Lemon Wafer Cookies

'Tis the Season to be Jolly...
And eat as many cookies as you can! Just kidding...maybe...

Last night, my family and I went to an older couple's house to help them decorate their Christmas tree. It's something we've done since I was a little girl. Decorating their tree with them is just one more thing that makes it feel like Christmastime! Especially since we haven't decorated our tree yet!! ;) 

Ever since I started baking, Mr. C has reaped the benefits every year for Christmas. I have always baked cookies for him, put them in a Christmas tin, and brought them with me to their annual Christmas party. Only, it's not just one kind of cookie - it's multiple kinds. 

Since I've been so busy this month (really, this year), I haven't had the time to make my cookie list so I'm in a bit of a bind. Their Christmas party is Sunday!! Can any of you share your favorite Christmas cookie recipes to give me some ideas?

I'll definitely be making these cookies! I tested them for the Expo on Saturday, and I thought that they were delicious! Instead of being a "heavy" and super sweet cookie, they're pretty subtle and have an almost refreshing taste because of the citrus. Since I'm not too big on sweets (bet I could've fooled you by some of my posts, huh?!?) I am in love with them!

You'll probably benefit from my recipe testing this week, so be prepared to add to your stash of Christmas cookies! I'll give you a big hint about the next one: It's super chocolatey! :)


Happy eating,
~HB~
P.S. I'm apparently utterly depressed that it's 69 degrees outside and it's December 10th. I'm drinking hot chocolate...I guess because I'm thinking that I can will the weather to be mid-thirties??? When in reality, all I'm doing is making myself sweat! Jack Frost, WHERE ARE YOU?!? 

Orange & Lemon Wafer Cookies (adapted from Taste of Home Magazine)
1/2 C. unsalted Butter
3/4 C. Sugar
1 Egg
2 tsp. grated Orange Peel
1 tsp. grated Lemon Peel
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Orange Extract
1 C. all-purpose Flour
5 tsp. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
Thin Orange & Lemon Peel Strips, Optional

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange and lemon peels, and extracts. 
In another bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Gradually beat into the creamed mixture.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. If desired, top with orange and lemon peel strips.
Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.
                                                                                                            Makes approximately 4 dozen

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, these do look so good. I must try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! They're delicious!!! Let me know how they turn out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete