Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Cinnamon Crackle Cookies

I keep having to remind myself that these are not gingersnaps. 
They really look like gingersnaps. They're even crunchy! As in: crunchycrunchycrunchy. But these cookies are made with cinnamon...not ginger. I have to apologize to them every year. (Don't hate. ;) )

I don't know why, but every time I look at the recipe I get overwhelmed. Like, "these cookies are going to take forever to make" overwhelmed. Apparently I don't have a good memory when it comes to this because they're so easy! The longest part is when you have to roll them into little 1 inch balls and coat in sugar. But it's super easy if you have a teaspoon cookie scoop (I got mine over at King Arthur). 

While I'm at it, let me just put in a plug for King Arthur - they have the best baking ingredients and their flours (and blends and mixes) are great! They are starting to get a good line of GF mixes and such, so if you're gluten-free you can still check them out and get some stuff!

Back to the cookies...

In my opinion, if you like gingersnaps you'll love these cookies just as much! Try them today!

Happy eating,
~HB~

Cinnamon Crackle Cookies (adapted from Taste of Home Baking Cookbook)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
 2 tsp. grated orange peel
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp. salt
additional sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg and extracts.
Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cream of tartar, nutmeg, orange and lemon peels, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.


Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar.
Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove to wire racks to cool.
                                                                                             Makes 5 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment